Sunday, March 28, 2010

My Fading Youth... Going to the Mall

In less than two months i will no longer be a teenager... and i felt this more than ever going to the Greenwood Park Mall. It all began when i walked through the doors, when i saw a group of kids. While they were young, bright eyed, individuals, i am a tired, world weary adult, who's eyes have grown a little dull. I walked through the music store...I have know idea who Sean Kingston is or what a Justin Bieber could possibly be. I am no longer up to speed with the current trends of the youth, and this hit the hardest when i went to my favorite store... Hot Topic. I looked around at the clothing, the shoppers and i could only think..."my god, what's happened here." The store i had usually made a priority on my mall trips was a completely foreign place, the music was too loud, it was full of little emo kids, and i kept thinking about where i could find better deals on clothing, i bought a Red Hot Chili Peppers shirt and left hastily. The mall was just one of those things that used to be special, like how driving was this crazy intangible thing, or owning a cell phone, now all these things are fairly hum drum. While i probably will never look at the mall, i can still remember it fondly along with all the other things i experienced during the teen years that were so special to me, no matter how mediocre they might be now.

No comments:

Post a Comment